Ukrainian- Cabbage Rolls
1 small cabbage (2lb) 3-4 tbsp cooking oil
1-1.5 lb ground pork 3-4 garlic cloves
2-3 tbsp tomato paste 1 can chopped tomatoes with juice
½ cup raw white rice (without smell) 2 medium carrots
1 liter (box) beef/chicken broth) 2 medium onions
salt/pepper /some sugar parsley / chives for garnish
- Fill a pot of water with salt and vinegar added to it and bring to boil
- Cut around the stem of the cabbage; note don't remove the stem this is where you will poke a fork into the base.
- Chop up an onion, carrots and add into a frying pan with oil. Let cook till golden brown.
- As the onions and carrots are browning; chop up a clove of garlic and add into the same pan. Measure out ½ cup of raw white rice; remember to wash your rice before adding it with your pork in a bowl. Add salt to taste.
- Add your onion, carrot and garlic frying pan into your meat mixture and mix up.
- In your boiling pot of water, salt and vinegar; place your cabbage into the water and start peeling the layers off of the cabbage. This is where cutting around the base is easier to remove. (drain the water)
- Next cut up another onion and carrots and add them into your pot.
- For easy rolling, trim rib off of the base of the cabbage leaf
- With the leftover cabbage cut up and add into the pot with the onion and carrots. At this point, add in can of tomatoes and juice. Mix together as your base. Add salt to taste
- While your base cooks; add in your pork mixture into the cabbage leaves.
- Once completed add the cabbage rolls on top of the base mixture in the pot.
- Before they are ready to cook add your tomato paste and broth together, mix well. Pour over top of your Cabbage rolls.
- Cover and cook on high for approximately 40 minutes, reducing to medium once boiling.